I didn’t until a couple of weeks ago when I walked into the corner of the Tibetan chest on my landing, not dissimilar to this one except mine is more red, and two of my toes went one way and three the other. I admit to saying some very very naughty words in front of my daughter because somehow I knew it was bad.
But in true British stiff upper lip, hospitals are for sick people mode, I hobbled around for over a week unable to put my left foot flat on the ground. Eventually even Mr Kate, who up till then had been enthusiastically applauding my ability to still manage my life without asking him to do too much, suggested I might want to take my toes to the doctor.
I pointed to my expertly bandaged buddied up toes. “This is all they will do and charge me a gazillion dollars for.” But no, even that appeal to Mr K’s wallet didn’t work so I went to the doctors who made me fill out all their forms again because apparently they hadn’t seen me for so many years that I didn’t register on their computers. (Did I mention I’m not keen on hospitals?)
Of course they send me for an x-ray and lo and behold I had indeed fractured almost right through my second toe in! I thought I’d be able to go home but apparently I needed to see an orthopedic specialist-for taping toes? I wondered, but didn’t say it out loud. I was indeed beyond buddy tape…
Hence the boot for 6 weeks minimum and a bone knit time of approx 3-4 months…
I feel very stupid.
Disadvantages to having the boot:
1. it weighs a ton and lugging it around makes me cross.
2. it makes me feel stoopid
3. I can’t wander the stores at my leisure (Mr Kate thinks this is a definite plus!)
4. Everyone does this peculiar sniggering snorting thing whenever I stomp past.
Advantages to having the boot:
1. Mr Kate makes me lots of cups of tea and helps out a bit more in the carrying dept.
2. I’m getting more writing done because I can’t go out so much.
3. My family get to laugh at me and call me Hoppy and Hobbly and I can’t chase after them-laughter is good right?
4. I now have a pet toe called Mr Cracky.
5. I got a prescription for vicodin 🙂
A question for anyone who is American-what is the white shoes and labor day thing all about?