Last week I went on a family vacation to Long Beach, California, a nice 5 hour drive away from where I live. One of the sights we were keen to visit was the old Cunard liner The Queen Mary.
We ended up walking onto the lower decks of the ship where the entrance to the ‘Ghosts of the Queen Mary’ tour was scheduled to start. Now, halfway up the gang plank I’d already decided there was no way I was going to do this tour because a) I’m slightly claustrophobic, b) I’m a scaredy cat and c) sometimes I get these weird ‘vibes’ about places and have to get out.
The three members of the family who wanted to do the tour were allocated a later time so we decided to explore the ship while they waited. Two minutes in, my husband, boy #3 and my daughter are skipping merrily down a passageway lined with cabins. Son #2 and I both stop about three foot into the passage and stare at each other. Neither of us like it and want to get out.
So we call back the rest of the gang and head upward toward the airier spaces of the first class passenger entrance. As I’m walking I remember the old family gossip about my uncle who used to work for the Midland Bank and spent some of his time acting as a banker on voyages from Southampton to New York for this very passenger line. I’m thinking he was actually on the Queen Mary.
We get to a nicer, brighter level and just as we arrive a tour guide comes past us and points to a gift shop located in the corner and tells everyone that it used to be the office of the Midland Bank who operated the only bank on the liner. So it seemed that family gossip was accurate about this at least!
I was still uneasy on the ship and although I enjoyed the experience I wasn’t unhappy to leave.
I called my mother yesterday to tell her about the visit. she totally got the creepy vibe as it is something we share and she immediately confirmed that my uncle had been on the Queen Mary and it’s sister ship the Queen Elizabethm and that in those days-the early 1950’s, it was quite a stressful job as once he was at sea, he had to make all the financial decisions as to whom to loan money to without any back up.
There was also a lot of socializing involved and I imagined him, in his twenties, in his evening clothes chatting to all the ladies like some debonair man of the world. My mother said that to relieve the stress he obtained permission to play the big grand piano in the first class dance hall late at night. So he’d sit there in the moonlight playing happily to himself once everyone else had gone to bed. What a wonderful image. 🙂
Kate Pearce is giving away a basket of signed books from her backlist, a signed copy of her latest release, KISS OF THE ROSE , a bag of Hershey’s Kisses and spa goodies, including her exclusively blended KISS OF THE ROSE perfume and infused soap to one lucky winner! How do you win this awesome prize?
Answer the question “What makes the perfect first kiss?” in the comment section of this blog, the contest post on Kate’s blog, Twitter, Kate’s Facebook Fan Page or emailing contests(AT)knightagency.net. You can enter multiple times. See details below
KISS OF THE ROSE FIRST KISS CONTEST
Prize: Gift basket featuring signed books from Kate Pearce’s backlist, as well as a signed copy of KISS OF THE ROSE. Plus, a bag of Hershey’s Kisses and spa goodies including Kate’s exclusively blended KISS OF THE ROSE perfume and infused soap.
How to Enter: Answer the question, “What makes the perfect first kiss?”
FIVE WAYS TO WIN
1. Via Twitter, answer the question, “What makes the perfect first kiss?” in 140 characters or less. Use the hash tag #KissoftheRose.
2. Via Kate’s author blog OR The Knight Agency blog, answer the question “What makes the perfect first kiss?” by commenting here in the contest post or in the comment section of this contest post on The Knight Agency blog <http://www.knightagency.blogspot.com/> .
3. Via Facebook, reply to the contest post on Kate’s Facebook Fan page <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kate-Pearces-Fan-Page/220636502580> answering the question prompt.
4. Email your answer to Contests(AT)Knightagency.net Contests@Knightagency.net> .
1. The winner will be chosen randomly. This contest runs from Monday, August 9th thru Thursday, August 12th at midnight ET.
2. Mutiple entries are accepted. Meaning you can enter up to five times by posting an answer on Twitter, FB, Blogger (TKA and Kate’s blog) and emailing your answer. However, the entries MUST be different. For instance, you cannot answer the question the same way on both Twitter and Facebook. Also, please be sure to comment within the contest post whether on Blogger or Facebook to ensure your entry is counted.
3. The winner will be announced on Friday, August 13th on Kate’s author blog, The Knight Agency blog and via both Kate and TKA’s Twitter accounts (@KnightAgency and @Kate4Queen). If the winner does not claim their prize within two weeks of the announcement, another winner will be selected. If the second winner chosen does not respond within two weeks, the prize will be declared void.
Thanks to everyone who entered and I’m sorry I can’t give you all a book.
The winners (Chosen by random husband number crunching) are:
Alycia and Pearl
I’ll be in touch so watch your in boxes!
Finally! It’s the Big Day!!
Kiss of the Rose releases this Tuesday! Go check out this link for excerpts and extra info.
And I’m having a contest. Comment below to win a chance to own one of two signed copies of Kiss of the Rose and some of the specially blended perfume and soap the lovely lady at Latherati made me just for the book.
Contest ends next Sunday.