I’ve always loved to do crafty things and my favorite, because I’m not that great an artist but I’m a whizz with a pair of scissors, some paint and a pot of glue is decoupage. which basically means ‘adult cutting sticking and licking’
So here’s how I made this box for an upcoming baby shower. 🙂
1. Here’s the box in its flat pack state straight from IKEA. I got Mr KP to put it together for me and then I sanded it down to make it all smooth and easy to paint.
2. Here’s the wallpaper border I’m going to be using and the cherry red acrylic paint that will go on as the base coat of the box.
3. The red paint goes onto the wood. I usually do about 3 coats.
4. I use 2 different brushes, one for the edges and one for the bigger sides. I use the same brushes to glue and to paint for continuity of brush strokes. I also use a piece of damp natural sponge to add a top coat to break up the base. It makes it easier to add the cut out images.
5. Here’s what the surface looks like when I’ve added the sponge paint effect.
6. Now I’m going to cut out as many bits as I can from the wallpaper border and play with them on the surfaces of the box and the drawers until I get an effect that I like.